Saturday, August 28, 2010

How to track on Shabbos

At first I figured why track on Shabbos. It's a mitzva to eat and enjoy yourself on Shabbos so being on a plan is not really in the spirit of Shabbos. I now that's Halacha, but I think it may also be my yiddishe yetzer horah trying to get me to not be serious about this. On the other hand it is also a mitzva to be healthy.

Then I thought, well I will make a plan before hand. That could work. I just need to be hungry at my scheduled times. That doesn't always work. I could also use paper clips or something to mark how many points I'm eating. I think paper clips are muktza

So I'm putting it out there. How do I track on Shabbos while still keeping with the spirit of Shabbos?

2 comments:

  1. I'm on weight watchers, I am very careful about my points during the week, but three meals with Friday night, chulent, who can track that? I just control portion size. In fact we have a brachos party in my neighborhood. I know to watch out for the cakes, and stick to the vegis and fruit. Again not counting, just watching and monitoring. One plate of chulent, five meatballs and a drop of rice. I realize if I end up counting what I eat, I usually do stay in my points.
    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am not a Rabbi, but as long as you designate an item before Shabbos for use on Shabbos, then it's ok even if it is muktzeh. So I think a paperclip is ok. The problem is more of the adding up, which is a problem no matter what you use. It is probably possible to get a heter to use already made 'point cards' (like putting numbers on index cards) or even monopoly money, but you would have to ask. The problem is that you might come to actually write on Shabbos.

    ReplyDelete